- Main fabric (front panels), 6 x 7 inches - cut 2 pieces
- Secondary fabric (back panels), 6 x 6 inches - cut 2 pieces
- Filter insert - 5.5 x 2.5 inches - cut 1 piece. Please check the last page of this pattern for suggested materials.
- Elastic cord 1/16”, 22-25” long (kids to adult) if around the head, cut 1 piece. Use 8.5-10” if behind the ears, cut 2 pieces. Adjust accordingly.
- Safety pin
Note: Use 3/8” seam allowance Preparation and Sewing Directions:
1. Prewash the fabric to avoid shrinking. Cut the fabrics using the template provided. Match the 2 front pieces and sew 3/8” from seam. Do the same to back pieces.
2. Fold the edge of the back panels 1/4” to the wrong side of the fabric, then fold again. Stitch close to the edge.
4. Turn the mask right sides out. Flip the folding on the edges. Fold it 3/8” to the wrong side of the fabric then fold it again to meet the edge of the shorter fabric (back panel). Repeat this step on the other side.
5. Top stitch close to top and bottom edges of the mask. Using a safety pin, insert the elastic to the casing all around the mask. Tie the two ends making a knot. Hide the knot in the casing.
To use shorter elastics if you’d like to wear it behind the ears: cut 2 of 1/16” elastic, 8.5-10” depends on the size of the mask or the face of the person (kids to adult). Adjust accordingly.
Using the safety pin as a guide, insert the elastic to the casing on one side. Then repeat the steps above to tie the elastic and hiding the knot. Do the same on the other side.
6. Fabric filter (optional) - cut the rectangle then insert it into the mask through the hole from one side to the other. You may use safety pin to guide the insert. If the fabric is fraying, you may use serger or do a zigzag stitching to avoid fraying.
7. Filter insert suggested materials: please refer to below info.
Download the PDF Template here
Download the SVG Cut Files here